Thursday, February 16, 2017

Letter 16: New Semester and New Year

Dear Tim:
It has been a long while since we get to write to you. Way too long.
How are you recently?
My winter vacation has been both unproductive and memorable, as the first part of it was mostly about cellphones, TV, novels, etc. I didn’t have the opportunity to travel abroad like Melvyn, Buzz or Allison did.
But then there was a church’s winter camp, in which I earned my first-time-in-my-life salary taking care of the kids at the camp. I worked along with Doris, Alice(sister of Doris), and many other new friends. I’ve always known that taking care of kids is nothing but a tough job, either playing with them or putting up with their sometimes-unreasonable tantrums… However, one thing for sure is that, participating as a staff in a winter camp (especially in a Christian church, even though I’m not a Christian), I learnt about things we are not likely to learn in school, and I am grateful to the church for that.
Being a devoted fan of books, I bought so many books that I once thought I was in heaven.
Book list time!!!
The Giver, by Lois Lowry
Matilda, by Roald Dahl
A Hundred Names, by Cecelia Ahern
The Life List, by Lori Nelson Spielmen
Kira-Kira, by Cynthia Kadohata
Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montogomery
Cat Warriors Super Edition 8 : Brambleclaw’s Storm (Chinese version) by Erin Hunter
Harry Potter: The Cursed Child, by J.K.Rowling
A lot, huh?
There are more!
During our vacation, there was a large book fair held in Taipei. Since both Buzz and I had interest in books, we met up (oh, by the way, Buzz’s father was in charge of the stationery department of the fair, so we got free tickets!) and we spent a whole afternoon, savoring the peaceful moments the books blessed us with. (wait what)
After spending almost thirty minutes in total pondering and struggling, I bought two books:
So this is Iliad and The Odyssey. Since I (along with Melody and Candy and Vivian) are studying French right now, I certainly hope that one day I’ll be able to understand the whole book!



This is a French version of the Greek epic, The
The other book is a million times more intriguing; the parlor selling this tiny book was entitled “the smallest books in the world” which was printed and handmade into these small little adorableness.
This “The Little Golden Book” has actual words inside, which are mostly about how to life a happier life. To prove (to you and my other friends) that there are really words inside the books, I took this picture below, me reading it in the MRT station!

There is an even small book than this one, which is the “micro-version” of the Bible.
Again, though I’m not Christian, I regret for not buying that little book for its primary characteristics and the tiny shelf coming along with it.
Sorry for not taking any pictures at the New Year’s Eve, since we are all too busy chatting and having a nice reunion of our enormous extended family.
Though all of our family members live in the northern parts of Taiwan, due to our busy lives, we don’t have time to stay around and chat like we do during the New Year, which is the reason why my mother has always adored the idea of a family reunion. I am the only child in the family, so I really envy my mom that she can have such an intimate bond with her siblings…
Oh and I almost forgot to mention: I am the class leader now, and there are a lot of new responsibilities I’ll have to get accustomed to (and a lot busier of course!)
We are so happy to hear from you again! New semester, nice to meet you, Tim.
(unforgotten punsssssssssssssss)








Toast to New year!
Hugo

2/16/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment