Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Greetings, England- Day 25: Windsor Castle and my Barely Concealed Sadness

For a grand finale of this grand trip, my host dad took me to Windsor today, to see the still-occasional-residence of the Queen, Windsor Castle.
Oh, and by the way, right now, I am in the airport, waiting to board the plane.
I got a ticket for under 17 at a price of 12 pounds, while my host dad just went to a nearby café and started working.
It was a nice day, with neither sun nor rain. I grabbed an audio guide, and without another question, I started my tour in the Windsor Castle.
First time in forever, I asked for an audio guide.

Windsor Castle was intended to be used as a strong fortress at the age of war. With the steep slopes, the thick walls, and the moat that revolved around the main castle. On the walls, you could see wide windows that narrowed outwards into a mere small crack on the other side. According to the guide, it was used to be where archers shoot their arrows from.
Defense wall from the inside.
Although you cannot quite get a nice view out of this window...

Then, I continued down the path and entered the gate. One rule for the buildings in the Windsor Castle: No photography inside buildings. It was a pity because the interiors were the elegant details you would love to look into. Without the pictures, you might not get how beautiful it was. I might as well try to describe with writings, but I could not remember the details vivid enough to do so. There was one thing that was the most remarkable in my opinion was the fire that burnt a part of the Apartment down in 1992, the 20th of September. At the beginning of the guide, I didn’t get how the fire started, only the when and where. But as I got closer and closer to the room where the fire started, more details were given. I wasn’t until I was in the Lantern Room until I got the explanation of the starting of the fire. So, there was a spotlight, a really old spotlight, and a curtain. It was too hot, and a lot of things in the room was made of wood, and everything was into the flames, including the St. George’s Hall. It took them five years and over four thousand people to repair the damage (in time and within budget. For some reason, this was mentioned in the guide)
The Castle was a splendid place, but it needed you to see for yourself.
More pictures around the castle.








It is six thirty right now, and I am in a café, sipping on my cup of Americano, enjoying the remaining moments in England.
I might as well take a stroll around in the airport a little later.
Working to hide the sadness, was I? I know not.

My flight is at 9:35 in the evening, so I still had some time to spare. I took some time to write an e-mail to Ms. Sophie, in which I thanked her and the other teachers for the courses they had given us… I really was grateful, genuinely, for the idioms, the poems, the thoughts on environmental issues, etc. They are things I could have simply researched for, but the ideas they had led us to was something I could never have done on my own. This is the reason I like to meet different teachers, for every teacher has different parts to pass on to you. This is also one of the reasons I want to be a teacher someday; I want to be able to give students something they cannot get from somewhere else. This, in my opinion, is what teachers are for.
~
Oh, my boarding gate was shown… B47, I have to go now, later on the airplane!
~
This really is the finish line of this journey.

The plane has just taken off for some time now, and before boarding the plane, I saw a man lining up after me. He seemed nice, so I asked if he was going to Taiwan (NO. This is a valid question. We have a transfer in Bangkok) and turned out that his wife is Taiwanese! This time, Rodney -he asked for my name first- was going to Taichung to see his father-in-law and will be staying in Taiwan in four weeks. We sit in different places on the plane, so I guess we’ll have to chat in Bangkok later.
I have just watched the animated film Boss Baby. It was a heartwarming and laugh-drawing film, talking about brotherly love: “If there isn’t enough love for the two of us, I want to give you all of mine.” It didn’t give me shudders like other sentimental movies do, but it made me melt. Cuteness overload :D

I don’t want to sleep. The time I will arrive in Taiwan will be around 9:35 in the evening. Therefore, it feels like I am going to violently force myself out of jet lag. My dad happens to be back home in these several days, and I do not want to be all tired. SO, all I am doing right now is typing and playing some of the Backstreet Boys’ music I found in the entertaining tablet on the airplane. Thanks to my English teacher in my first half year of junior high school. He once played In a World Like This in class, and I have been listening to some of their love songs ever since.
~
After what seemed like forever (my back hurts from sitting for 11 hours…)
We have arrived in Bangkok! Later, I will have to go through another security check before I board the plane again.
~
Three more hours, and I will be back in Taiwan! (not to mention the mixed feelings again)
I just finished my chat with Rodney, and I found out that he is a teacher as well! He teaches kids around eight years old, and I got his Facebook and Instagram. I mean, he is a nice acquaintance, and why not keep in touch?
By the time I am typing, I am rewatching Zootopia… in French/German/Japanese! Though I think the Judy in Japanese soundtrack was too soft. None offense meant!
~
After the airplane meal -I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO THINK OF AIRPLANE MEALS!!!-, we are less than an hour away from the Taoyuan International Airport, and I think this is basically the end of the longest trip in my life so far. Actually, life itself is a never-ending journey, but now is not a time for quotes.
I have learned and seen and felt a lot from England. From her colleges, from her people, from her transportation to her environments, to her shops… There are a whole series of items I wish not to forget for a lifetime. This is so much more than I could have ever asked for when it comes to the first time long-term travels. Way MORE. I just can’t express how much this trip has given me so far. More friends, a wider view… you name it. I don’t know how many people have really read every word I have written, and I honestly don’t care (Well, if you did, I am really honored and very grateful) This is more like a diary, a reminder for myself, not to forget to remember the unforgettable (wordplay :D), and I am here to thank everyone who has come along on my path of the trip.
This is all.
And it is just the beginning, this isn’t the end.

1 comment: