Sunday, March 18, 2018

Letter XVII: A Week with no Pictures and Really It's Not Quite an Eventful Week

Hello, Tim!
This week’s weather was getting more and more moderate, more spring-like, with more sunny days and chilly breezes. I have put away the heavy and thick covers in an exchange with the lighter and thinner sheets.

Contents of the Week

(There wasn’t much happening this week, so the letter will be a bit briefer. :D)

-Morning Running Routine with Cathy
-Reading the Animal Farm by George Orwell
-Oh so Short a Letter


Morning Running Routine with Cathy

About two weeks ago, Cathy asked me if I want to join her into a morning jogging routine because she wanted to slim down a bit.
I am normally someone who would shirk any chance of doing sports, but recently I have become more diligent, for I have determined, not to become thinner, but maintain the current weight of mine, which  has been around 75 kilograms these four years, while the recommended weight of people of my height is 71. I couldn’t care less about it, for I didn’t exceed the standard weight too much, but still, to keep the weight I have now, some exercising is in order.
For two weeks without stopping, the first thing we do after we’ve put our things in our seats upon arriving was going downstairs and head for the track field. We have different paces when running, so we don’t meet during the running sessions, but it was more comforting when you know there is someone else you know, also running on the tracks so that it wouldn’t feel too weird.
It was refreshing, the morning air and the sun that has yet been fully shining and burning. It was tiring at first, but it wasn’t the kind that would make me sleepy in classes. I like the feeling and would keep on jogging every morning, hoping that I would be adding the distance little by little as I feel like I am capable of doing so.

Reading the Animal Farm by George Orwell

As what you had read from the letter of last week, the whole class had started reading the George Orwell fiction, The Animal Farm.
If reading by the normal pace, I would have finished reading it by now, but the thing is that Ms. Summer wanted the proof that we really have read the book so I would have to stop every chapter and write down all the words I think are important and their definitions. It was a task of nuisances because I want to finish the book nonstop. Seems impossible then.
Animal Farm is a book about how the animals overthrew their former dictator (Mr. Jones, their human farmer) and how the pigs surreptitiously and quite cunningly become the new and preceding dictators.
This is obviously a book that is talking about some historical events. I am never good at history, but with the book, I can see that something similar must have happened in the past, and the author’s imagination of how it would turn out was very compelling and discussion-worthy.
There are parts I easily anticipated, for example, the whereabouts of the milk that vanished, but also there are parts where things are happening too quickly that I didn’t even have time to be mentally prepared for such turn of events (I was talking about the expelling of Snowball the pig)
I like how the books have paces of different speed. If I didn’t have to write down the definition of the words, I restate, I would have finished the book for days!

Oh so Short a Letter

I know this is an unusually brief letter, for I was just too busy! I have to work out the script of our annual performance with Patrick, Aubrey, and Allison, and also do I have to rush out to buy the presents for Melody’s birthday (shhhh) just twenty minutes ago, and also, This afternoon I went cycling around the river park near our house with my mother and went on to go to the house of my cram school teacher to pick up some books she was throwing away (saving this story for the next time) and after finishing this letter I would have to review and prepare for the upcoming midterm as well as the research on gun violence for our speech class. It is only almost nine now, but I already had my schedule planned until 11:30 in the night with only fifteen minutes for taking a shower! With all the things I have to do, I think it is only wise to have the letter of the weekend here.
See you next week and I hope you really had fun on your family trip to the Grand Canyon. It sure does look like a splendid place for sightseeing.
Sincerely,

Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment