Sunday, September 9, 2018

Year Three, Almost Free 2: New Phone and Blood Donation

Hello, Tim!
This week, as mentioned before, was a week of tests. Along the way, several things also took place, and here are some stories worth bringing up as the highlights of the week.

Replacement of my Phone

As one may recall, my previous phone lost its sights (with its malfunctioning lens for the camera feature), and I got a temporary replacement from my grandfather. Our initial plan was to use it until I have saved up enough money to buy a new one, but one day when I was just hanging out with Eliza at her place, she told me that she got a new iPhone because her last one got a cracked screen. Her mom then sent it for repair and said that it would be mine when it came back. Now, I am familiar with second-handed phones, so I was cool with that, for the cracked screen apart, it was said to function perfectly, and it indeed was.
This is my first Apple phone, so there are a lot of features I need to get used to, but products like this mostly are willing to cooperate with me, so I think I will be fine.


Blood Donation: Complete

Finally! I never knew having your blood taken away for altruistic purposes needs three times of visits. On Sunday, I mentally checked all the factors that could lead to a red light before I could get a needle in my hand, blood draining away from me, and the eventual third tantrum in three consecutive weeks: I should have over than eight hours of sleep, ample nourishment, no drug or alcohol abuse in history, no antidote or other immunizing injection in the past year, no male-and-male sexual encounters and so forth. I filled in the now-familiar form and was soon given a blood pressure test. The doctor who later assessed my health condition exclaimed at the 155 (whatever the measurement could be) blood pressure I got. She gave me a second blood pressure test and it came back a much lower 122. I think maybe I was just too nervous about the blood pressure machine. The band wrapped around just squeezed and squeezed and it felt like a snake coiling up on my upper arm, busting out the blood flow of it. A double check on all the questions on the list followed, and I was finally given the green lights I have been applying for over three weeks! Blood donation, here I come!
I washed my arms so that the place that would soon be needled was sanitized. A nurse then led me to a room full of black armchairs. With a practiced ease, she soon had the rubber rope tied on my upper arm, stuck the needle and attached the needle with numerous tubes and containers. A stream of dark red appeared on the other side of the needle, flowed into the tubes, and into the blood bags. This was my first time of donation, so I could only be drawn out 250 milliliters of blood. Maybe it was just the cold limb I had due to the loss of blood, the tube placed in contact with my skin felt like the warmth you would get when you sit next to the furnace on a snowing night. Wait. Silly me. Blood IS hot!

I was silently singing 'let it flow, let it flow, let it flow' then

The nurse told me that normally it would take about ten to fifteen minutes to have a bag full of blood drawn out, but for my case, I think it took me far less than ten minutes to get off the armchair. I was then introduced to the free food bar where I grabbed a soy milk as a reward for myself. It was a new experience; who knew that blood donation could be so fun? I knew that I would be back in two months. That will be when I’m going for the 500mm blood donation!
Too bad I had coffee in the morning.


First Mock Test

Last Wednesday and Thursday were the days of our mock tests. The results have yet come in, but we already have all the answers.
Starting this year, students won’t have to study all five major subjects anymore. All you have to do is aim to master four of them. I chose to let go of my horrible Nature studies as it includes subjects such as physics and science and biology. To me, they are just such hard nuts to crack I would be banging my head on the table for hours if I had to try understanding the subject.
I did better than I thought on my Mandarin and Chinese Literature, and a necessary high score on English, a passable number of points on my social studies, and a horrible score in math.
Math, to me, is and always have been a wild card. You feel like you comprehend the question and what methods or what formula you should be using to crack the questions, but I could never put two and two together and sometimes it would leave me exasperated, knowing that I was just one step from getting the right answer. My math score would have to rise up in time for the big exam or it would not mean well for my college choice.

End

These days have been days with horrible weather. Rain pouring down in buckets, flooding everywhere (unfortunately, not our house) and a pending typhoon named after a mountain plant was pending and coming for us.
Let’s hope for the best.
 
Extra: Grandma's birthday this Saturday
Sincerely,
Hugo


No comments:

Post a Comment