Thursday, March 9, 2017

Letter 19: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and Desserts (or was It Stressed? I Got Confused)

Hello, Tim!
Do you know why you should have cakes when you are under stress?
Because “stressed” spelled backward is “desserts”.

Lame joke, I know.
I have started typing this letter a little bit later because I was spending the time reading the book our teacher gave us a while ago, the one with the upside-down poodle. I just finished it this morning, and it was undeniably an enjoyable read. Christopher, a fifteen-year-old boy, was born autistic. He had a deep love for math, as almost thirty percent of this first-person narrated book if filled with him rambling about math. The most intriguing trait of it was how the chapters were arranged. Normally you can see “Chapter 1”, “Chapter 2”, “I”, “II”, “III” and so on, but since Christopher loves prime numbers the chapters are put as “2,3,5,7,11, 13, 17…” And this is how I like the style of the author’s writing. Mark Haddon did a nice job portraying an intelligent kid with autism: superbly observant mind, logical thoughts while rambling like a child at the same time. It was really hard for me to remember that he was only (or already) fifteen! A poodle living in his neighbor’s yard was killed, and there here we began Christopher’ adventure as a detective! There were two plot twists in the book, and they sent me plummeting into a deep hole as I had never seen them coming. I literally had to read twice in case I have misread it!
Now I don’t really want to spoil the book to my classmates (in case they stumble across my blog?) so let’s wait until the reading reflection is posted!

After watching the pictures and the recipes from Alice, I wished that my cousin could be here so that she would bake me some cookies or even a coffee cream cake and I wouldn’t be drooling all over the keyboard. My cousin and her mother also love baking. When Mom and I go over to their house, there a big chance that they are mixing flour and eggs to make cookie dough by the time we arrived. I am so lucky to have a cousin who is into baking. One day, if circumstances allowed (i.e. that we have a larger oven) I promised myself that I would try baking myself!

About the reply you sent last week, I really did some thinking. All these time I’ve been writing at my own content, never was there a time when I considered about the readers, maybe that is the problem. However, I am never good at guessing or assuming if my readers would be interested in my passages. Maybe there is a way to fix it?
Puns!
Why don’t some couples go to the gym together?
Because some relationships don’t work out.

Have you ever tried eating a clock?
It’s really time-consuming.

I don’t always trust the stairs because they’re always up to something.

Until next week!
Best regards, Hugo, ZZSH

3/9/2017

1 comment:

  1. Hugo,
    You're getting better! Actually, your writing has always been good, but it was too "introspective" for the casual reader. I can see from this letter that you were actually writing to ME, not just for your own entertainment.
    Practice this: The next time you write something, pretend that the entire class, and me. is going to read it. After you write it, look it over, and see if it would be something that most of the class would enjoy reading. keep the humor, and the puns, in the writing.

    Good job!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete