Sunday, May 6, 2018

Letter XXII: Going to School on Saturday and the Week in a Single Word

Hello, Tim!
Busy.
These weeks are just too hot for me to believe that it is still springtime in Taiwan…
As usual, we are still struggling to make up for the severely delayed schedule of our class performance. To do so, we even went to school this Saturday for rehearsals.

Contents of the Week

-Finally finished: The Alchemist
-Saturday Rehearsal
-Continuing the Morning Routine
-Questions Answering
-End with so Many Things on my to-do List



Finally Finished: The Alchemist

It took me a solid three weeks to squeeze out enough time and willpower to finish reading this book. The effort for the willingness to read isn’t because the book is dull or anything; I was just too tired to do any thinking, and it occurred that this book requires a lot of thinking for it to make any sense.
It felt like I was saying the ever-recurring sentence, but this book really does remind me of The Little Prince by Antonio Saint-Exupery; you feel deeply touched by the book, but at the same time when you are asked to talk about what the book is conveying, you would find yourself lost for words. I will try, though.
The main character, who is merely described as the boy, was unnamed throughout the book, which is not quite common. The boy had recurring dreams about some treasure, and to start the search for the treasure, he left his life as a shepherd. Along with his steps on his journey, he perceived more and more about the Language of the World and living his life knowing that everything and everyone is a teacher and that believing in one’s heart is the only way to achieve one’s destiny.
This book is intriguing and is in some way like a mystery, in which some parts inside would confuse you about what the author is trying to convey through the ring of the plot. According to Allison, this book is quite boring, but I know that people can have different views on the same book, and I am glad that I didn’t just stop reading when she told me her opinion. Seeing is believing!
Preview: This is the next book I am reading.


Saturday Rehearsal

Like I said in the beginning, we went to school for the annual performance in the morning. Being a not-like-spring spring, the sunbeams were pouring down like a dam releasing its water. I hate hot weathers.
We got upstairs to our classroom and started rehearsing. Memorizing the script is, in fact, a lot easier than I thought, for normally the conversation in a play are logical and regular sentences and responses, and with the previous sentence, it is not difficult to have in mind the next line soon enough.
We didn’t manage to run through the whole play, but at least we’re making progress. (Oh, and by the way, it is now Saturday in the evening.)
Us.


Continuing the Morning Routine

I know, we all know that the volleyball tournaments are finished already last week, but we had made an agreement to partially keep our morning volleyball practice. At 7:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays, we would still go on the volleyball court.
This is one of the many changes I have undergone since I got to high school. Before coming into EHP, no matter who, when, where, how, what, I would always evade doing sports at all costs, so I was inexplicably surprised myself that I was willing to do more than being cooperating; I was there every single practice! No excuses did I need to find; I had always been there. And I will.

Questions Answering

1. Liam was put under house arrest for lightly biting a lady who went into the lawn of Mr. Maher’s without notifying him. Liam, being a responsible and loyal and well-disciplined quiet dog, bit her on the ankle.
2. If a dog does seriously bite someone, there would be a chance that the dog would be put to sleep… forever.
3. Liam avoided a more severe punishment because he is an awesome dog and doesn’t have any record of biting anyone before this incident, and also dogs are justified to bite when there are intruders in the estate/land/house of the owner
4. The given reason for going to the baseball game is that it was Dimitri’s ninth birthday (Happy Birthday, Dimitri!!!) but I guess that Mr. Maher and his family just wanted to go to the baseball game.
5. Mr. Maher chose the seats that grant the all-you-can-eat food stall because he knew Patrick and Dimitri would manage to make buying the seats worth it with all the large amount of food they ate.
6 . One unfortunate thing about the all-you-can-eat section is that they didn’t opt to offer ice cream or nacho cheese, both of which were what Mr. Maher craved for.
7. 220 boys (we) were in disadvantage because their (our) first match was played against the beloved team with three out of six who are currently in the school volleyball team (and as a matter of fact, they got the first place. Yay for them.)
8. In our class, the girls take up two-thirds of our class population, which meant that they had more choices when picking the team members for the girl’s team, and also some of them are very athletically trained even before the volleyball tournament.
9. The criteria the judges might take into account might be the costume design of the students (which showed their creativity), their choice of song (to see if they had logically chosen songs that are suitable for chorus songs), and most of all, their overall performance.
10. I watched the video of class 207 and Elaine in particular, and I have to say that I have no idea what makes a fine conductor and the requirements to be the best in school, but I think she is confident while she didn’t rush anything and let everyone be prepared before any sound was made; I believe it took her a lot of concentration to ward off the potential stress that might follow and the cool head she seemingly had is impressive.

End with so Many Things on my to-do List

I guess this is this end of this letter, despite the fact that about half of the letter was for questions answering. I would like to spend some time thinking about how I can make my other sections longer, but I still have tons of things I haven’t done yet, and I can’t stall anymore.
With sincerity,

Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment