Sunday, June 24, 2018

Happy Holidays 7: Singing and Coffee

Hello, Tim!
Just yesterday, our finals were dealt with, and we finally have the little time to relax. There are tons of things to look forward to the next coming week; Next week will be our graduation trip!
I did think about bringing my laptop with me so that I will be able to write down all the details every single day, but then I remembered that I just have a way of losing things in various unthinkable places and unbelievable ways, so I could only repress the thought.
It will be a lot of fun, but let’s just pray that we will have several consecutive rain-free days. There were no typhoons recently, not even news reports of them.

Contents of the Week

- Karaoke Night
- Continuing on with My Novels
- End


Karaoke Night

It was nearly the end of the semester, and since the finals were over, Cathy and Candy decided that they wanted to go to a karaoke and sing as an activity of stress relief.
After the test (Friday), we went straight ahead for the metro and rushed to the karaoke Cathy says she often went to.
I like to sing. No. I LOVE singing. But I also know that even though I don’t usually sing off tune, I still don’t have a voice that sings nicely. This was the first time ever I had gone to a karaoke out of my own will, and even the last time was almost ten years ago!
The interior was so nice that it was a total turnover for all the preconceptions that I have ever held for karaoke. Perfect lightings, clean-looking food bars, wide lobby, and several floors of rooms you can pay to sing.

At first, I was hesitant about picking of the microphone provided in our room, but when Candy and Cathy really seemed to be enjoying themselves, I experimentally picked up the mic and started to sing along, first tentatively, but then I just loosened up and started singing, there were some very funny notes I sang, but as they laughed, I laughed along with them. It was a sensational experience, and I started to understand why there will be people who want to stay in a place like this all day long.
Our tickets allowed us to sing until nine thirty in the evening, but my mom only allowed me to stay until nine. Since the girls said they wanted to keep on singing, I left early and headed home.
I’ll make sure there’s another time for another visit.
 
Selfie!

Taken by Cathy

Continuing on with My Novels

Due to the test preparation, I stopped temporarily with my novels. That left me at the same progress of the book I mentioned last week, the ‘Before the Coffee Goes Cold’ book written by a Japanese author.
The book is about a café that owns a not-at-all-mediocre rumor. It is said that the coffee shop takes you back in time. Time-traveling is a topic vastly favored by authors, especially in Japan. Novels like this normally feature people who are having troubles with their current life, or that they have some mystery to solve in the past. They usually hold some heartwarming endings, and I don’t think this installment will stray from the pattern.
On this Saturday evening, I brought this book out for one simple purpose: I need a picture of this book taken. Once I finish one book, I take a picture of it and I upload it onto my social media and share it with all my friends. Since this is a book about coffee with a setting in a coffee shop, I was determined to find one café and shoot my book along with a cup of coffee. It sounds pretentious, but whatever makes me happy, I’d do it.
On the way, it suddenly came to me that there has always been a café in a half-hidden alley, and I think it would be more ideal than the chained coffee shops that I first thought of.
It is a café named The Fairy Café. It sounds like a dreamy place, but according to the menu displayed at the door, it was an Irish-themed shop. The interior looked ancient, but it was clean, which indicated the big amount of time spent on the cleaning. It was thirty minutes before closing time, but I still somehow took my time to take in the design of the café after I ordered something called ‘Fairy Latte’, which is latte with whipped cream.
I am not knowledgeable when it comes to what makes a place look Irish; I know that there are Celtic knots, those twirls and swirls and sometimes accompanied with some floral designs, but that is all. I think the lamp on the ceiling have some of those patterns, and the coaster as well. They also serve coffee that has Scottish whiskey in it, but these are all the indicators I could notice.
Cozy.

I sipped on my latte and left ten minutes before the closing time. And it was satisfying.

End
This concludes this week’s letter, and from tomorrow on I will (hopefully) be posting daily updates through my cell phone, about our adventures during our graduation trip.
Sincerely,

Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment