Monday, May 20, 2019

Year Three, Almost Free 35: Self Concern and Results

Hello, Tim!
Today is only Thursday, yet I figured since I was (finally) given the grace to enjoy momentary freedom. Why so all of a sudden?
Well, that's because our classes are over! The finals took place just the day before yesterday, and even though we still have to come to school until the third of June, which will be when our graduation takes place, we are given carte blanche as to what to do in classes.
Since I still have a pile of application work stacked up in front of me, I figured that spending some time writing something in which I used to pour all my thoughts wouldn't hurt, given that we practically have the whole day for ourselves.
With all being said, I will do a follow-up record about the new routine that I absolutely love whenever I feel like to.
But first, I want to talk about something not related to work.

Language Hysteria

For the past two months, I have been using all my time to boost my German abilities, which, to my delight, had brought me considerable progress to the command of this language. I can now write to my German teacher to organize a meet up for a more concentrated training on my verbal skills in preparation for the upcoming German proficiency test in full German. More and more German vocabularies swarm in my head, and it pleased me to be able to call myself an "elementary" user of this complex language.
But... Sometimes I feel a sense of panic. With all the new information flowing in like tap water, I often feel like I am having a hard time grasping my wording in English. I feel a helpless frustration when I found myself unable to recall simple words like feast or gratitude, and it troubles me when I end up using only the simplest of words when there are obviously more refined wording choice in the lexical library in my head. I have been making more spelling confusions, mostly with the a's and the e's. It just feels horrible. It makes me think that I won't be able to simultaneously have progressed in new languages while maintaining the same level of English, and I just couldn't deny these accusations I have made to fire at myself because I know that they are all valid ammunitions. I can only take comfort in the fact that not all is gone in the winds just yet. Through writing like this and trying to reclaim my reading schedule will set me back on track, to be the person with many words at his disposal, all of which are found beautiful by him. I hope to be able to put no brakes in advancing my German skills while still having English as my priority, like the sharpest knife in the drawer, always shining and ready for action.

Class Observation

Now starts the observation of my classmates. There are five of my classmates who are to take the test in July: Melody, Sherry, Candy, William, and Jay. I just finished correcting William's English composition he wrote for practice and gave him some feedback. Cathy and Angela are sitting at the back of the classroom, making good use of some supposedly costly alcohol pen by drawing cute and cartoonized characters of 320 classmates. Amy and Selena are at the same desk, where they are checking out online malls. The results for their college application came out today, and they both are admitted to the same college. Congratulations to them.
William claims that his brain is all mushy now, and is now off to sleep. Sabrina, sitting at her desk, is fixating on her book about British tourist attractions.
Some classmates are absent for various reasons; some doesn't see what they could do at school after being admitted to colleges so chose to stay at home, while some decided it would bring them a more serene and efficient study environment outside of school. This might be the right choice. This morning, Allison brought with her a sewing pack, synthetic cotton, and differently-patterned cloths. Cathy and Angela wanted to learn from her how to make little owl figurines out of the materials mentioned above. It started out as a workshop of three, but then Jack and Selena are interested. In no time they all have their own cute owllettes. It was still relatively quiet for classmates who wish to study. At some point, though, someone decided to take it up a notch by transforming several desks into a mini golf court. They taped cards and stationary onto the table to act as obstacles. With their fingers and the little owls, they somehow found supreme excitement in it, and it distracted some classmate quite a lot, even though the game didn't last too long. I was tempted, but I really hope that I can finish my personal statement by the end of this week so I would have more time for myself in the future.

A Win in Equality in Taiwan and Its Future Confrontations

From this week on, the 17th of May will be a meaningful day in Taiwan for many people altogether. It is the day when the first law for gay marriage is finalized. Now, there are still challenges, obstacles we have yet been forced to deal with, but they are for sure to come. I want to write a separate article about this monumental event, but it will have to wait.

End

It's early Monday now. I'll have my German proficiency test in several hours. Better start oacking up the items I would need.


No comments:

Post a Comment