Sunday, June 2, 2019

Year Three, Almost Free (Last): Really There and Oh so Surreal

Hello, Tim.
We're finally here. Really here.
Several dozen weeks ago, I was still referring to this week as something distant, vague, something from a distant folklore anecdote or of legend. I joked that I would cry the instant I see someone cry, and now it doesn't seem playful anymore. I panted a picture of the graduation ceremony in my head, and as the vision became more definite, less murky, the more affirmative I am about my crying in the near future.
The ceremony, which would take place at school tomorrow, is going to mark an end of our high school phase of life.

One year, two years, ten years from now, we are going to stare at the pictures and rewind in our minds, the "grandes choses (big events)" we once accomplished being treated as some faraway recollection. I wonder how we would look in the eyes of the older versions of us.
There are actions I am glad I had done, and there are ones that gave me regrets, whether the 28-year-old me would mark the Me today as an imbecile or an innocent is beyond my guess, but for now, I am pretty glad to have stayed in EHP.
In some really cheesy romance novels, one would ask another whether their story was fated. With tumultuous emotions rolling in one's eyes, an equally sentimental answer is heard. I don't know if there is a thing called destiny, but if that were to be true, I believe being in EHP is a big part in the written plan in my life. I look at some of my classmates as individuals, and I would be surprised at how much they had in some way changed me radically. They are like life lessons you can't buy with money. Tomorrow is the day it all comes to a halt. Expectedly, after tomorrow, we would still do meetups with one another, but there is one thing we would lose tomorrow: the times we are going to meet each other without the need for a reason. That is something only the school can provide.

In the wake of graduation comes the summer vacation, and I have several plans. My mom and I hope that I can find a part-time job, just to gain some work experience, to have a little taste of what it would feel like to be in the workforce. I also plan to keep on with both French and German and expect to make bigger progress. I also want to have my friends at my place just to hang out because when I (if I) go to Germany, who is there to name the date of when I will be able to meet my lovely friends?

Here's a toast to all my fellow friends and everyone who is out on the verge of the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment