Thursday, April 6, 2017

Happy Holidays II: The Tale as Old as Time and Wonderful Puns (oh and my back)

Greetings, Tim!
I know it is holiday in Taiwan (Tomb-sweeping holiday) and we won't need to write but I do want to write and so here I am!
Thank you for the advice last week! However, I believe that, broken back or not, I will still be a couch potato. I seldom do sports and I hate it when I get sweaty after P.E. I don't like playing basketball, jogging, playing volleyball, and the only two kinds of sport I can call myself "capable merely to the barest extent", are swimming and playing badminton. I even do those two scarcely.

If I could, I'd love to live with only books, food, and friends, and sleep.

Last week Thursday, I got a medical belt to protect and support my back, a belt which I would have to wear for months to see if the bone would heal itself. You have to wear it fairly tight or it won't do any good, but sometimes it feels like it's crushing my gut and it was the least pleasant thing throughout the week. The good news, though, is that I won't have to go through surgery after all!

Today, I went to the cinema with my mom (it's been a long time since we go to the movies together) for the film Beauty and the Beast.
Photo via Google Images

After Disney's animated adaption of this "tale as old as time" in 1991, 25 years later, it was remade into real life movie! As you can imagine, this became a big attraction to all moviegoers, as the memory of the lively animated musical never fades.
Now to be honest, I have forgotten a lot of details of what had happen in the 1991 version, so I couldn't really tell you the differences between the two films, but I sure can list out some of the remarkable parts:

- Belle (Emma Watson) was otherworldly beautiful, and it was really a brilliant idea to let Emma take the role of Belle, as she also loves reading and often leaves books in metro stations as gifts for other passengers.

- The bookshelf. YES! The bookshelf was filled with leather-bound books and I was so excited to see the room of books (actually, this is one of the reasons why I was in the theater. Not even kidding) and I believe I would have done the same thing that Belle did in the film- looking from shelf to shelf, giggling uncontrollably.

- Before Belle was locked in the Beast’s castle, she used to borrow books from a miniature library, owned by a kind man. They referred to reading as if it was a way of travelling to another place. Before she left the library, the man said to her, “Bon voyage!” and I think that might just be the sweetest thing to say before someone reads a book.

                                                                                             - “You read Shakespeare?”
                                                                                               “I’ve had high-class education.”
                                                                                               Charming, isn’t it?

Overall, I think Beauty and the Beast is that kind of movie which book nerds would love to watch repeatedly.

So, what are we going to talk about for our upcoming letter 22?
I believe the story of Cupid and Psyche would be great! Since The Beauty and the Beast has something parallel to that story.
To be continued…  : )

Puns for the holiday.
This is actually so adorable




















Now for the Iron-knee.
Have a nice day~
Best wishes, Hugo, 4/3/2017~4/6/2017

1 comment:

  1. Hugo,
    So now you have a medical excuse to be couch potato! Stay away from the pizza, hamburgers, and sodas, or you'll end up at about 300 pounds!
    I haven't seen the new "Beauty and the Beast", but I've heard that it's actually better than the Disney cartoon version. I do want to see it.
    Stay active! Get out and do a lot of walking.
    '
    Tim

    ReplyDelete