Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Greetings, England- Day 2: Settling Down and a Nervous Start

Okay, so first of all, I'm going to fill in some details I left out on Day one.

The place I am in is not Cambridge, but Oxford, at a college called St. Clare's. And as for the meals, as I had said, we had fish and chips for lunch. For dinner, the host family took my cousin and I (they are both Taiwanese, by the way) to a Chinese restaurant. Normally, it would be a nice topic to bring up, but unfortunately, I was incredibly jet-lagged and exhausted then so I can't even quite remember what we ate. It was somewhat nice, I guess.
So fast forward to this morning, when we went to a shopping center for a sim card and the roaming. It was 25 pounds for 500 minutes of calling, all-you-can-eat amount of data. It was about reasonable price, I guess? After that came the nervous moment.
It took about one and a half hour to drive to St. Clare's, and on the road my thoughts were twirling and spinning faster than the wheels rolling at the speed of 80 miles per hour, mulling over what kind of roommate I am going to get, what kind of teachers am I going to have, over the possibilities of not being able to answer correctly in English, of being the slowest student in class. Yes, they were irrational, errand thoughts, but this being the first time in England, I couldn't help it!
Then it was another spurring of events, from going to the reception to hugging my cousin goodbye (she's going to a camp in another place), from the accommodation to the welcome games...
I live on the 4th of Staverton Rd, and it was a rather old building, but cozy nonetheless. Our warden, Daniel, greeted me warmly and explained to me that there will be fourteen students in this house and I have one roommate to share my room with. However, he has yet arrived, so it wasn't until before bedtime did I meet him. His name is Francisco, and he is from Spain. He looks friendly and polite, so I think we are going to get along just fine.
So overall, today is a nervous day (but with a nice weather though) and I did make some acquaintances, but their names are so foreign and long, I only managed to remember my roommate's. So much for today.
My half of the room :D

The squeaky staircase

Oh no it is Sunday :(
07/02/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment