Saturday, August 11, 2018

Summer Vacation Day 38: Kids and and Early-celebrated Father's Day

Hello, Tim!
Yesterday in the midnight, my dad came home in a taxi.

8/7, Tuesday
It was one day before the Taiwanese Father’s Day, and since he was back around the time, we decided to eat out. This will be talked about later.
After school, I went straight to Sophie and Aiden’s new house, just to help my mother look over them. Sophie has an English tutor at two in the afternoon, so since my mom knows not many English words, I was the ‘receptionist’ for the teacher of Sophie.
I didn’t really ask her where she was from, but she did tell me she had parents from Italy (who weren’t taking care of her). She is a nice teacher, a stern one as well. She takes none of the clowning and the jesting of Sophie that so often drives Mom and me crazy. Nevertheless, Sophie only obliged with numerous ugly faces and a lot of disrespectful words under her breath.
The two kids, Sophie and Aiden, really can be cute when they were in the ‘good-kid’ mode. They would sweet-talk you until you would want to say yes to every of their requests, but if something drive them into the ‘little devil’ mode, they can saw at your nerves and you would be forced to maneuver every ounce of your willpower to rein in your desire to give them a big good smack. Were they not my cousin’s children, I would be taking the doors and get away as far as possible.
But they’re family. You live with their goods and bads.

After leaving the kids with their grandma who later came, we left for home and went to the department store nearby with Dad for our celebration of the Father’s Day. We eventually chose an American-Mexican style restaurant Chili’s for dinner.
The interior design included dark red sofas and kaleidoscopic pattern on the lampshades dangling from the walls. The big panel of glass provides lighting and the view of the big road.
It took us ten minutes to decide what we would like to eat: A Quesadilla Explosion Salad, Spicy Shrimps Tacos, a set of sirloin steak, and there was a dish of nachos with cheese, whose name had been forgotten (by me). The last time I had had Chili’s or any kind of Tex-Mex food was at least five years ago, and the only dish I can remember was the fried cheese sticks, so I was really forward the idea to refresh the experience.
The food, as expected, was heavily seasoned. My mom kept complaining how salty the food was, but we all ate with a small smile at the edge of our lips, for it was heavily seasoned BUT delicious. I don’t usually eat chili peppers; I only use them for adding tastes, but I always make exceptions when it comes to Mexican pickled peppers because they really go well with the other ingredients on the plate it is usually served with. It was a very expensive meal, granted, and a very veggies-lacking meal for one (even with the salad), but we are really entitled to this little bit of luxury every once in a while, right? It’s the Father’s Day celebration, after all.
The waiter informed us that there was a promotional campaign where you can get one beer and another beer for free if a father and a son is present. Well, I am under eighteen, and my dad had quit drinking a long while ago!
Well, it WAS called the Explosion Salad.

First taco of my life!

I think every dish had cheese in it. It was like pizza but on nachos. 

Now, to be honest, I can never say that I am as close to Dad than I am to Mom. Since childhood, my father had always been out there working. He was in China for my whole kindergarten phase as well as the first couple of years in elementary school. One day, he was changing the bulbs at the staircase over there, standing on a wobbly stool, and he fell off the stairs and broke some of his bones, at the same time injuring his spine. Mom, in a hurry, left me with my aunt and flew right over to bring Dad back to Taiwan for recovery and decided to stay with us later on. I could still remember the nails sticking out of his back and his arm when Mom tended to the wounds and changed clean gauze. The coming years, my parents opened a betelnut store at the recommendation of a friend of my uncle until he got his job as a mechanic on a ship. He dropped out of high school, but that doesn’t mean he pays little effort. When Mom and I were packing for moving several days ago, and I came across a large heap of mock test papers, forcefully fitted in small files that were deformed by the copious amount of paper stuffed inside. The mock test papers were for the mechanic tests, and all of them, as I flipped through them, were all answered and checked- There had to be over five hundred pages!
Now he doesn’t stay home constantly again, and that was something I had learned to live with since I was little, but there is no denying that I love him, and there is no doubt that my mom loves him even more.
Dad cutting open the medium rare sirloin steak. He was enjoying it.

Some people see me with my mom, they exclaimed about how much I look like her; when I walk alongside with my dad, people pronounced the resemblence. People, I present you: MY PARENTS!!!

People celebrate Father’s Day on August the eighth in Taiwan, but we did it on the seventh.
Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

This is all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment