Saturday, August 25, 2018

Summer Vacation Day 48: Kids and Their Legos

Hello, Tim!
Today was the last day of our summer course!
However…
Our school starts right on the thirtieth of August, which would be just around the corner.

8/17, Friday
Today was also take care of your ‘nephew and niece for the whole afternoon’ day.
Their school bus came at the scheduled 16:10, and from the opened door of the big, bulky carriage, we could see that Sophie and Aiden were sitting side by side, and Sophie at the window seat, who very obviously just woke up from sleep, went right past Aiden, struggling with all the things he had with him and also unbuckling the seatbelt, and she didn’t even offer to help!
That was unacceptable for me. I chastised her for doing so (which was a reasonable thing to do, wasn’t it?). Sophie, still heavy with sleep, responded in a very rude tone (unacceptable, for the second time) that ‘I just didn’t want to, what can you do about it?’
Until we got into the valley, I scorned her for being so rude, groggy from sleep or not. She wasn’t listening, instead stayed quiet as a form of protest and her petite disdain, sulking her way back home. What should I do to get this disobedient young lady?
She eventually cooled down, and I coaxed her into talking something about her new school environment. Back in her house, Sophie went into her room and grabbed her metal box that was initially used to hold some Starbucks eggrolls. Inside the box was her Lego Treehouse Resort Set. She was halfway done with it, independently putting miniature plastic bricks into place, face forming scowls and muttering grunts when her hands swept off several brown blocks that were supposed to be the branches of the treehouse by accident. Aiden, meanwhile, was completely focused on his Lego F1 racecar he put together himself.
One of the little bits fell off, and he was trying to find out how to get it back in place.

I was watching them two the whole time, occasionally picking up several bricks that had yet joined to the model of the treehouse. Maybe it was just I had never asked, or it was just out of my league then, but I never had a piece of Lego in my hand throughout my childhood. I do remember seeing children trying to build Lego cars and so on, but it just occurred to me today that I had never had this in my childhood and seeing them playing so attentively with a gaze so keen, I felt like I had missed out on a fun phase in my life.
Treehouse: Under construction.


There is a claw machine store near our school (stores like that is just everywhere), and there is just one machine in particular that William really fancies. It is always filled with little figurines of the Lego people and a type of sticker you can collect. Once you collect all the stickers required, you would get a set of Legos that can be built into lands like some surface of a planet and so on, and William, as mentioned, it all crazy about that stuff. Every single time he walks by he would be lured inside and spend some shiny and round ten NT dollars, trying to collect and build up his own Lego empire.
Maybe I can go buy some Legos to make up for the lost childhood. :D
Extra: A while after the Legos, just ten minutes prior to the dinner, Aiden just decided to go 'Elsa' on himself and took all the plastic accessories of his sister.

'Have to... rock.. the Elsa look', one imaginary line that was not really spoken by Aiden.

This is all for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment