Sunday, August 26, 2018

Summer Vacation Day 50: Finnick and Billy

Hello, Tim!
According to the chat history, my math tutor texted me at four in the morning, saying that he had just finished his work. He asked if we could make a rain check on the class that ought to be had today. Despite the postponed class, it was still far from an eventless day.

8/19, Sunday
Having no class in the morning, I had a rather free morning to myself. I was doing out when executing the art of doing basically nothing when the doorbell buzzed at about two in the afternoon.
Good, That meant only one thing.
I poked my head out to the balcony, finding myself looking at a certain yellow truck parked on our side of the road.
It was the yellow from the IKEA icon.
Look who's here, albeit of the rain? (repsect)

One cool thing about IKEA’s delivery system is that the charge for the delivery is determined by the money you spent on furniture in total instead of the actual weight of each object.
Billy (the Bookshelf) and the desk are not like the chair my mom and I successfully put together last week; we had had enough trouble doing that job already. Fear not, for IKEA would be there to help!
At a proportion of 6.5 percent, IKEA would charge you the cost of the price of furniture to help set it up. It was a very generous and considerate offer, given that maybe half of the people (like me) don’t know how to put some needed tools to good use.
Welcome to the live show: Billy in the Making!
Look at that speed! The person was assembling the bookshelf with such efficiency that he could not be captured on camera! (hyperbole, but quite literally)

In one swift heft, Billy was set in an upright position, as sturdy as ever.

About five minutes later, the two panels of the glass doors were installed as well. All thanks to the gentleman in the picture.

I stood at the door of my study, watching as the person tore up the boxes and efficiently lay everything on the floor. Seemingly, he had the instructions imprinted in his head; without the help of the manual that came with Billy, the main part of Billy was standing right next to my other bookshelf (which, later the day, I named it Finnick. DO NOT judge.)
This is the view you get upon entering my study. I know. It would feel better if you can see the front of my shelves upon entering, but sometimes, compromises have to be made.

The man left after the desk was also prepared, and then came my part.
Finnick the bookshelf was inherently deeper than Billy, making it capable of accommodating two rows of books each layer. When all layers were filled with two rows of books, I knew that it was time to get a second.
Billy, on the other hand, was not as deep as Finnick, but had the height in every layer to put even my biggest length of the book. I spent a total of three hours moving books from Billy to Finnick, and rearranging the positioning of them, hoping to get them more pleasing to the eye. My back hurt when I was finally done, and there are still some placements of the books I was not entirely agreeing with, but it would have to wait for another day.
(Hours later) The view you see when sitting at the desk; Magnificent, isn't it?

This is Billy.

And I am sure you all have met Finnick.

Welcome to the family, Billy.

This is all for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment