Saturday, July 28, 2018

Summer Vacation Day 26: Enchanté House and Reading, Reading

Hello, Tim!
Today is the first time seeing the house we just rented!

7/24, Tuesday
Being a frequent visitor of Eliza’s house means that it needs no time to adapt to this already-familiar area. I didn’t need to try my best to remember how I am supposed to go from one place to another in a short time; I have spent literally over ten years in this area; before having had rent this place, I already called it my second home.
After school that finished at twelve at noon, we were to take a Chinese essay writing exam, which will be a hefty part in the soon-to-come college entrance exam, so it is crucial to have enough practice done so that we could get used to the format of such writing tests. Every time the essay test would be made up of two separate essays, one to express your logical thoughts and ideas, and the other to show your emotions and it is usually more sentimental. We only had righty minutes, and although the time needed varies at the difficulty of the topic you are given, we always have to finish it within eighty minutes, which is normally not enough.
Give me an English essay, and I would be happy to oblige. Chinese essay? Hello, sore wrist, here we meet again.
It is about forty minutes of walking distance from our house if you start from our school. The first leg of the trip (get it? On foot? Leg?) I had the blazing sun as a company, which made me sweat and feel sticky all over. And then it rained. I was then sweaty, WET, and sticky all over. I have nothing against the rain, as long I have myself indoors. It just poured down so heavily like every drop was a pachinko pounding down into the sky that I had to wait at the protruding part of the building as a temporary (sweat-less) shelter. About fifteen minutes did the rain poured on, and I set off once again after the rain relented a little. (mental note: Umbrellas.)
It just HAD to rain.

Another fifteen minutes passed in walking and rain, I finally reached the bakery that is just below our apartment.
The rooms were all empty, so there really wasn’t anything t see except for the planning for the rooms. The house was filled with people hustling in and out, dealing with the wires, the ACs etc. My mom and Aiden, my little nephew, were also there. Putting an effort into not disrupting the workers while checking out the house, I walked and wandered around slowly, soaking everything up. It has three rooms, one living room that is linked with an open-space kitchen, two toilets, and two balconies, one on the front of the house and the other on the opposite side. I looked at my bedroom, where a wardrobe is already set and ready for use. The room itself is small, but enough for me to put my bed and a small stand. My study was about the same size, and they have yet gotten the AC installed. For my study, I would need space for a desk, some chairs, and, of course, my bookshelf.
The only blurry picture I managed to find. More to come in the future!

By the way, I finished reading a book today. Theodore Boone, The Kid Lawyer is a book written by one of the most renowned legal novel authors. I read the Mandarin version before, and I totally loved the concept, so I indulged in it and eventually bought the English version of the first in the saga.
Theodore Boone had parents who are both working in the legal systems as attorneys, and this kind of connection to the local court gave our protagonist Theodore a chance and the access to get to know a lot about the people who work in a court and just generally a lot about laws and the process during a case. All these inspired him and made him aspire to become a lawyer or a judge. At school, he’s the star of his debate team owing to his sharp wit and his silver tongue that says only what he thought was correct. He is like a consultant when other kids in school are his little clients.
Taken yesterday when lining for optometrist!

My cousin is a lawyer for patent laws, and that also stimulated me and inspired me in the beginning. I’ll need to get more books.
It is a rather old house, with white walls whose painting is peeling off. We weren’t to worry about that, though, for our nice landlady said that she would have the painting job finished.
I know  I wasn’t here two days ago, but this first time knowing it, seeing it, I felt welcome.
Mom and I are still arguing whether I am going to let the moving company take my books. The compromise, for now, is that I get to pick out books that are important to me, with a limit of two boxes, to bring them personally, and leave the rest for the company.
I still have doubts…
This is all for today.


This is all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment